Monday 16 February 2015

Adopt-A-Street-Dog Thai Style Project.

Riding the bicycle or sitting in the park I occasionally do see a dog that needs just a little bit extra attention.

Before I continue I have to stress that underfed dogs are very rare. As blogged before, most street dogs in Thailand are well fed dogs that are taken care of by the locals.


I don’t feed these street dogs. The dogs that I feed though, are the few ones who had an accident , are temperately sick, are simply underfed, and need extra food  for a while to get back on their pawns again, to help them in a difficult time.

It is simple. I just carry a bottle shaped plastic container on the bicycle filled with supermarket dog food. I live between the rice fields but usually go two or three times a week to the nearby city. And that’s when I do my round and visit the dogs and feed them.

Last year.

Dog#1. There he was, standing on the road. A bald scruffy dog, dizzy looking, very skinny and a very big dent on his head. His skull was dented. He obviously had a serious accident a while ago and also obviously he was struggling.

Three times a week I gave him food. He slowly recovered. By now his hair has grown back, he is part of the local street vendors market, and he simply turned into a super nice and happy playful dog and always very happy to see me.

Dog#2. This dog was a park dog, whenever I did go to the park to play with my 5 year old son, he was there. A healthy and big dog and although I didn’t feed him he always was playful with me and always greeted me when he saw me.

Suddenly however he became sick with a skin disease and became very skinny, and rather sad looking. Time to enter the Adopt A Dog program!!

Dog#1 and dog#2 lived on the same stretch of road so I could feed them simultaneously. In accordance with his good nature dog#2 allowed dog#1 to eat  together without fighting.
As blogged before, the end of last year both dogs mysteriously disappeared for almost a month at the same time.

After a month of absence dog#1 was back, and well fed. A week later I also did meet again with dog#2 not in his usual spot but a few streets away, on a main road.

He was mildly happy to see me again, and  mildly interested in the dog food. That was strange, what happened? I did get the answer a few days later when I saw him again. He suddenly took off and wagging his tail he greeted somebody else in the street. Dog#2 had been adopted by somebody else. That is a happy ending.

Dog#3. A few times in the big city I saw a big Danish dog sized dog dragging his underfed and old body through the streets. I gave this dog food on several occasions but after that he was out of sight until last week when I saw him again. When I stopped the bicycle and called him though, instead of coming as he usually did, he strolled  into a nearby local shop!! I mean, he walked right into the shop all the way to the back while the shop owners were there and didn’t bother to look at him. He also wasn’t the scruffy underfed dog anymore but well fed and simply looking happy.

Dog#3 had been adopted by local people into their home and was now taken care for. Happy ending.

I end this article with my request not to help western style dog pounds in Thailand. Good intentions from western animal lovers but not so good for the street dogs. In Thailand street dogs are accepted and taken care for by the local people. Let them live free.

No comments:

Post a Comment