Thursday 5 February 2015

BATTLESHIP SUSHI ATTACK!!!

Battleship Sushi with a Mushroom paste filling ("Nam Prik Hed") The slices of tomato makes it look colorful but don't add nothing to the taste. The vegan mayo however taste super tasty and goes well with this sushi.
Why be conservative? You can serve this sushi with traditional Japanese soy sauce but also with sweet chili sauce.

Battleships ready to go filled with a Tomato Tofu filling (Nam Prik Ong vegan version). Again, the vegan mayo taste super. The next day i made a sushi topped with slices of water melon. A real photo op but just like with the tomato, water melon is not a tasty combination with sushi rice. 

i blogged recently how I discovered how to make perfect Japanese rice in the rice cooker, by simply washing the rice, soak it for half an hour, and finally drain it, and add exactly one cup of water for each cup of rice. Works like a clock.

Working with perfect foods is such a delight.

Gunkan Sushi. 

Gunkan means “battleship” and refers to the form of this particular sushi; a small rectangular shaped rice with a strip of nori around it and edges higher than the rice and filled with a filling.
They are easy and practical to make, and very tasty. They are also extremely versatile. You can be very creative with your filling, and you can even top your fillings with e.g. vegan mayo or chopped herbs.

Now for me, my challenge and motivation always is to cook for other people, not just for myself. So with my sushi I actively try to figure out what taste would work for regular Thai people. What makes them tick tock tick tock. That isn’t easy.


Last week I successfully made vegan versions of some very popular Thai pastes like Nam Prik Ong and Nam Prik Hed. My Thai wife (she is vegan) who has a conservative Thai taste and doesn't particular like my western style cooking and isn't shy about expressing that sentiment, was surprisingly very enthusiastic about both Nam Priks.

Now when my Thai wife likes it, I know I am on the right track.

So this week I made some Battleships with a vegan Nam Prik Ong and Nam Prik Hed filling. They tasted super tasty!! To EVERYBODY, me, my son, and the wife. With tasty I don’t mean tasty in a vegan way but just good old fashioned tasty.

I also tested my new recipe of homemade low fat (repeat LOW FAT) vegan mayonnaise as a topping on both Nam Priks. Holy Mother Of Crack Heads!! SUPER TASTY!! My previous vegan mayo tasted great but the consistency was more that of a dipping sauce. My new mayo though is super thick and stays in shape super good. I am super pleased with this self developed vegan mayo recipe.
After my successful Nam Prik Battleships I prepared a few sushi’s topped with slices of water melon. Looks colorful but taste dull and boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment